Name: Rochefort 10
Brewery: Brasserie de Rochefort
Stats: ABV 11.3
Price: $6 / 330ml
- Appearance: Reddish dark main with rusted perimeter. Standard khaki head for the style which is thick and low.
- Aroma: Rich in spices, fresh baked bread (like all trappists), and of blue berry jam. Smells slightly of alcohol which is contradicted in the flavor.
- Flavor: The usual caramel and brown sugar but rich with fresh dates, figs (and for that matter prunes), malt, hints of nutty bleu cheese. Purple fruit flavor overall with butterscotch and raisin finish. Has an almost… powdered cocoa mid-palette or maybe it’s just from the sweetness fading to tart.
- Overall: Deceptive for such a dark beer to be as smooth and light bodied as it is. Heavy alcohol flavor but with such a high ABV that is nearly impossible to avoid. The only acidity detected would be that of a stale orange peel. Medium to low carbonation.
- Placement: This beer is worthy of putting on a beer list.